Saturday, 16 April 2011
As of right now I am about a third of the way through my final project and probably only get two thirds done by the end of this semester. My final project is a reproduction of James Krenov's Silver Chest or as he called it the Silverchatull. I have the drawers pretty much done there are some fine tuning that needs to be done to the pulls and the exterior surfaces. I decided to take a break from the drawers, which I had been working on for two months straight, and start on the carcass. First was cutting the veneers which we do ourselves on the band saw with a tall re-saw fence. The veneers I am using are both Western Maple. The exterior veneers are spalted and figured and the interior have some figure to them but no where near as busy as the exterior veneers. If you have ever worked with spalted woods you know how much more work it takes to work than normal wood, especially if you use hand planes. Edge joining the two spalted veneers together took me roughly 5 hours to do one edge join. As of today I finish my edge joins for the spalted veneers and all together it took me about 20 hours to do the four edge joins that need to be done. Just to give people an idea of how quickly edge joins are usually done the interior veneers took me about 5 minutes each to edge join together. Anyways they are done and I am extremely happy with them I can't complain about the one bit and it was fun. Now it is gluing the veneers onto basswood substrate, I have the top and bottom panels all glued up and the sides will be done hopefully Monday night.